Connecting Advice in Dorset e-bulletin no. 39
Welcome to the Connecting Advice in Dorset e-bulletin. The e-bulletin is circulated every two weeks and will bring you news about the project and information relating the advice sector in general. If you would like to send anything out via the bulletin, please send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Highlights from this bulletin
News from the Project
- Dates for your diary
- Thursday 1st October 2015 Specialist Advice in Dorset – click here for more details
- Wednesday 4th November 2015 – Financial Capability Forum – details to follow
- Wednesday 18th November 2015 – Welfare Benefits Forum – details to follow
- Financial Capability in Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole – we are pleased to publish our most recent report looking at the need for, and provision of, local financial capability services. This findings and recommendations of this report will be the focus of our Financial Capability Forum meeting. Click here to view the report.
- Evidence of unmet need for specialist advice – we need your help!
We have working on gathering evidence of unmet need for specialist advice in Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole and this is proving quite tricky, to say the least. We have developed a survey to try to capture where the advice is simply not available and also, if the advice is available, why clients do not access it – we would be very grateful for a few minutes of your time to let us have your thoughts. You can find the survey here.
The survey is designed to be anonymous – we are aware this is quite a sensitive area and we don’t want to stir up any issues between organisations.
- You are warmly invited to attend the AGM of Citizens Advice in Dorset on Monday 28th September 2015, 4.15pm – 5.30pm at the Factory, 14 Alder Hills Road, Poole, BH12 4AS. If you would like to attend, please RSVP to Louise Taylor, CAiD Communications Officer.
- Ask CPAG online service – a new information and advice service for advisers: including:
- An up-to-date bank of written information about common problems areas of the benefits and tax system
- An opportunity to feedback on the information
- An email advice service
- Find out about your Local Welfare Assistance scheme – the CPAG website lists the schemes for every council area
- AdviceNow – a new website provided by Law for Life designed to provide clear, step by step guides on common legal problems, including ‘Going to court’ guides for clients who can’t get legal aid
- Free mini training on the Mental Capacity Act and the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- To celebrate International Volunteer Managers Day, Volunteer Centre Dorset are holding 2 workshops and a networking lunch on 5th November 2015.
Research and Reports
- ‘Cost of a child 2015’ – a recent report from CPAG on the cost of raising a child
- ‘A link in the chain: the role of friends and family in tackling domestic abuse’ – a new report from Citizens Advice