Welcome to the Advice Dorset Partnership E-News bulletin. The bulletin is circulated every two weeks and will bring you news and information relating the advice sector in Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole. If you would like to send anything out via the bulletin, please send it to me at email@example.com.
Advice Dorset Partnership
- WESSEX FINANCIAL CABILITY FORUM: Citizens Advice in Dorset is organising the next Forum on Wednesday 18 October, 1 – 4 in Dorchester. The focus will be on the impact of the roll-out of Universal Credit, where claimants will need to budget on monthly payments and may have to start managing essential payments such as rent. Attendance is free but places are limited so please book via Eventbrit:
- Conference: Advice and Support for those with Long-term Health Conditions: Thursday 16 November, Dorchester. We are currently planning this conference.The aim of the conference is to highlight the advice needs of people with long-term conditions, and showcase some of the advice and support available , from both organisations and initiatives working across Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole. If you would like to run a workshop and/or have a display table please contact Caroline Buxton. Invitations will come out at the end of September – please put the date in your diary.
- Citizens Advice in Dorset’s Annual General Meeting: Friday 29 September, 4pm, Allandale House Wimborne. An opportunity to hear about our Research and Campaigns work:
Job Opportunities in local Citizens Advice offices
- Admin Officer at Christchurch Citizens Advice:
News and Useful Information
- ‘Debt time-bomb’: The Financial Conduct Authority is concerned about mounting personal debt. The Money Advice service says 8.3 million people in the UK have problem debts.
- Happy Energy is giving heating and insulation grants to homes in the this area. Grants are available for : Homeowners, Landlords, Tenants, Community Heating, Houses, Flats, Park Homes, Shared Housing, and Sheltered Housing.Grants are available for everyone (regardless of income) : Free loft insulation top-up, Free cavity wall insulation, Roof in room, Flat Roof and Underfloor insulation, Partial grants for double glazing, and Grants for communal heating.Grants for people on benefits include: Free* oil & LPG Boiler upgrades, Free* Heating control upgrades, Free* Storage heater upgrades, Grants for air source heat pumps, grants for biomass boilers & stoves. (*subject to survey and terms and conditions).If you would like Sue Warr to come and talk to a local group of people about what’s available, or just want to phone and discuss this further please contact her on: 07968 890556 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org<email@example.com>If you wish to apply for a grant please call free on: 0800 0 246 231 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org<email@example.com>
Please quote reference: Sue Warr
Events and Training
- Dorset Community Action Conference: Working together for a stronger civil society Friday 29th September 9.30 – 3, Dorford centre, Dorchester.
- DWP/Local Authority briefing for stakeholders on Universal Credit – September dates now booking:
- BRIDPORT LOCAL ADVICE NETWORK (LAN): Wednesday 4 October, at Bridport Citizens Advice office at 45 South Street, Bridport, DT6 3NY, 11.00 am to 12.30pm. This will be a thematic meeting on strengthening links between voluntary and community sector advice providers and the health and care sector particularly in the context of social prescribing models and matching patients to effective interventions. More info:
- Ageing Well Conference: Organised by the Pan Dorset Funders Forum, Friday 6 October 2017, between 9.15am and 4.10pm, at the Dorford Centre in Dorchester. The aim of the conference is to:1. Explore what is currently happening to older people across the area and nationally, we are particularly interested in preventative services and supporting people with planning for growing older
2. Inform funders about local need, and to encourage and enable them to work collaboratively
3. Encourage and enable voluntary organisations to work collaborativelyThis is an opportunity to be influenced by new perspectives, share your knowledge and network with a whole range of other organisations.To book for the conference, there is a £13.25 charge, please go to the
www.eventbrite.com/e/ageing-well-conference-tickets-36823309510 The deadline for bookings is noon on Wednesday 27 September 2017.
- Domestic Abuse Awareness: course at Poole Civi centre on Tuesday 21 November, 9.30 – 4.30.
Research and Reports
- Gannett Foundation: the charitable arm of the Newsquest media group will fund local groups that ‘make a lasting difference’. Grants of £5 – £10k. Deadline 9 October 2017:
- Dept of Health – VCSE fund will focus on ‘social prescribing’; grants of up to £300K . They are seeking applications that design models that fit the needs of their local area and draw upon local assets. Applications for both new and existing social prescribing schemes will be considered. Deadline 21 November 2017.
- Comic Relief has launched the Core Strength programme – grants of between £1k and £10k for small local community organisations with incomes up to £100,000, to support core running costs (salaries, premises etc). Deadline 26 October 2017. These grants will be applied for via Dorset Community Foundation, so contact